by Sue Bedford
For those preparing for, or going through, fertility treatment this month, Christmas can be quite a tricky time.
With so much rich food, sweets and alcohol around, it can be difficult to not indulge when your friends and family are.
Although it is important to keep in mind that there is a good reason why you are trying not to overindulge, it really is important to treat yourself too!
With this in mind and to help you focus on keeping on track – one of the key areas of fertility nutrition is to try to keep your blood sugar levels balanced.
Excessive consumption of refined carbohydrates erratically throughout the day will cause blood sugar levels to rise and fall, causing insulin levels to peak and trough, which eventually may lead to insulin resistance. Insulin excess can affect ovulation which may affect fertility in a number of ways, a main example of which is PCOS.
So here’s some top tips to help you out along the way!
1. Try to have your 3 meals a day to help balance sugar levels. Eat some protein with slow release carbohydrates too. A handful of chocolate for breakfast for instance won’t really help!! Instead maybe plan a few different meals ahead so that you feel that you are still having treats, but in a sensible way. Perhaps try a special smoothie for breakfast with poached egg on granary toast (with a little smoked salmon as a treat).
2. Avoid alcohol if possible. Instead substitute with ‘treat’ drinks like sparkling elderflower pressee, homemade fruit punch, smoothies, non alcoholic mulled wine or a mocktail
3. Enjoy your Turkey! Turkey is an excellent source of lean protein. All B vitamins are present in turkey meat and these are important for fertility and also for your mood! Turkey is an excellent source of selenium and phosphorus and a good source of zinc too.
4. Eat as much fresh organic food, wherever possible.
5. Drink plenty of water
6. Make lots of different salads to go with cold meats/cheese etc to maintain your vitamin boost.
7. Go for a walk and enjoy the fresh air! A good walk each day helps to boost serotonin and boosts your mood too!
8. Enjoy some self care
9. Make sure you relax and avoid stressful situations.
Why not try this fantastic sparkling pomegranate mocktail . . .