By Sue Bedford
Here at IVF babble we are always looking for delicious recipes to help you on your quest for parenthood
With the Autumn fast approaching, what better way than a hearty soup – and gluten free as well – what more could you ask for?
Ingredients (makes six portions)
• Four cups chopped squash
• One medium english apple chopped
• One large onion, chopped
• Half tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
• Half tsp turmeric
• One tsp chilli flakes or chopped fresh chili – adjust to taste (optional)
• One handful of fresh basil, chopped
• Seasoning to taste
• 3.5 cups vegetable broth, gluten-free (or chicken broth if you prefer)
• 2.5 tbsp olive oil
For the garnish
• One small English apple, very thinly sliced
• One tbsp freshly chopped basil
• Handful of grated cheese of your choice
Heat oil in a pan or over medium heat. Add the chopped ginger and cook gently for about a minute or so. Add the chopped onions (and chilli) and saute for five to ten minutes until soft.
Add the squash and stir well into the onion and ginger. As squash begins to soften, add the diced apple, blending well with the squash in the pan. Add spices, seasoning and basil into above mixture, stirring for another two to three minutes. Cover the pan with a lid and allow the apple and squash to simmer on low heat for about five minutes or so, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Add 2.5 cups of vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Once cooked use a blender to blend to a puree. Add the remaining one cup of broth to the pureed mixture until desired “soup” consistency is reached. Season to taste. Ladle into individual bowls and top with a sprig of basil, one to two tsp freshly grated cheese and the thinly sliced apple. Enjoy!
For more fantastic recipes click here