What is a typical day like for a fertility therapist? We ask Lucy from Catching Rainbows

We’re started a new series of articles on the theme ‘A Day in the Life’. Our first article features Lucy, a fertility and pregnancy therapist, registered nurse, and one half of Catching Rainbows, the support service for men and women trying to conceive…

Lucy runs Catching Rainbows with her business partner, Cath. A service that uniquely combines a clinical and complementary approach. Between them they are a nurse, a psychologist and also practice an array of other therapies including hypnotherapy, arvigo massage, reiki and reflexology. They work with women going through infertility and pregnancy loss. They offer face to face sessions as well as over FaceTime or Skype. With no agenda they work to help you find the answers and treatments needed and scoop you up and take care of you in the meantime.

Lucy tells us about her day…

“I wake up at 5.47 (because something about that feels gentler than 5.45) I can’t help but excitedly reach for my phone to see if my lady has tested yet. She came to us after four failed IVF attempts and with just one frozen embryo left to try. Nothing yet, so I try and harness my patience and creep downstairs. I get up early because I have a very busy head, and having some quiet time in the morning really helps me to tame it.

You might imagine that I am meditating to welcome the day, in fact in reality I’m tripping over a cat, trying to hang out washing or do some chores and check my emails before anyone else gets up. A picture pings up on my phone and the joy just bubbles up inside me. Even after ten years in the job, those test pictures never get old. I do one of those running on the spot excited dances, and as usual am so overjoyed I just can’t type my reply quick enough.

I have a few minutes to just reply to a couple of other messages. One lady has woken up feeling that inner dread that maybe her IVF hasn’t worked. Another is really worried her ovulation isn’t going to happen. My third message is from a woman who is six weeks pregnant and paralysed with fear because she has had some bleeding.

I am in a privileged position to be able to have these intimacies shared with me and to be trusted to send back words of comfort as well as clinical facts which can often be the basis of the comfort itself.

The morning continues in semi-organised chaos. My wildly empathic and intuitive nature means that I totally prioritise the emotional wellbeing of my family and clients at the expense of everything else. While this sounds incredibly virtuous and wholesome, in reality it basically means that nobody in my house can ever find any clean socks, and we have always run out of milk.

By the time I get to work I am excited as I have a rare opportunity to have a catch up with my business partner. Cath is the most nurturing, warm and maternal person I have ever met and is a professional looker after-er. She scoops me into a hug then sits me down with a homemade smoothie. I excitedly eye up her cool bag which almost certainly means she has made some kind of epic quinoa salad that will make me feel virtuous and nourished. This is not always. Sometimes she brings cans of coke and chocolate. We chat work and make some plans for a couple of our shared clients to make sure that they are going to get the exact care that they need in terms of a clinical plan but also all the right TLC. We also talk through technical boringness and fantasise at being better at managing our time so we can blog more and remember to post on Instagram.

I am seeing two women today for sessions. It’s an honour to hold space for both these ladies and tend to their hearts. I also love to see the light starting to come back into them as answers begin to be uncovered and a gentle plan starts to emerge that finally feels inviting rather than overwhelming.

I then enter the afternoon wind down. Family stuff at home, and trying to get a bit organised. Of course I change into pyjamas the instant I arrive home, and I like to watch YouTube videos whilst I cook that teach me how to be more organised. They either inspire or irritate me depending on my mood.

From 6 to 7pm I have an uninterrupted hour of email stuff and creating follow up plans and recording relaxation tracks for clients and then I dive into the evening which is time with the kids and bedtime, relief that my partner has as usual tidied the kitchen, and an hour of telly and chats with my man before heading to bed .I check for any urgent SOS type of messages, trip over the cat again and just as calm fills my heart I notice that I forgot to bring the washing in.”

Do you work in the fertility industry, at a clinic or company? What is your typical day like? Get in touch by emailing mystory@ivfbabble.com with the subject ‘day in my life’.

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Translate »