Sue Bedford (MSc Nutritional Therapy)
Vitamin C is important for fertility because it helps with the production and function of various hormones and plays a role in protecting the reproductive cells (sperm and eggs) from oxidative stress and DNA damage. Additionally, vitamin C supports the health of the uterus and cervix in women.
Here are 10 Top vitamin C-rich foods to pop into your shopping trolley:
- Citrus Fruits (Oranges, Grapefruits, Lemons): Citrus fruits are well-known sources of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps improve sperm quality and motility in men and can help support the overall reproductive health of both partners.
- Berries (Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries): Berries are not only rich in vitamin C but also contain antioxidants that help protect eggs and sperm from damage caused by free radicals, which can impact fertility.
- Kiwifruit: Kiwifruit is packed with vitamin C and other essential nutrients. It can help support the health of both male and female reproductive systems.
- Papaya: Papaya is another vitamin C-rich fruit that can aid in the development of a healthy cervix and support the menstrual cycle in women.
- Bell Peppers (Red, Yellow, and Green): Bell peppers contain a substantial amount of vitamin C. They also provide antioxidants and folate, which can contribute to improved fertility.
- Broccoli and Brussels Sprouts: These cruciferous vegetables are rich in vitamin C and contain folate, which is important for foetal development and early pregnancy.
- Guava: Guava is an excellent source of vitamin C, and its high folate content can support healthy ovulation and early pregnancy.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes contain vitamin C and the antioxidant lycopene, which may help protect sperm from damage and improve male fertility.
- Spinach: Spinach is a leafy green vegetable rich in vitamin C and folate. It can support overall reproductive health in both men and women.
- Mangoes: Mangoes are not only delicious but also provide a good dose of vitamin C. They can contribute to the overall nutritional profile needed for fertility.
It’s important to note that while vitamin C is beneficial for fertility, it should be part of a well-balanced diet that includes a variety of nutrients. Fertility can be influenced by many factors, including overall health, lifestyle choices, and underlying medical conditions. If you’re trying to conceive and have concerns about fertility, it’s advisable to consult with your G.P in the first instance.
Please note- grapefruit may interact with some medications – always check this with your GP or qualified nutritional therapist/ dietician .